Equipment Available for Routine Use
1. Agilent 6545 LC/SFC Hybrid Q-TOF (2019) A high resolution TOF analyzer with Window 10 and APCI/ESI ionization. This instrument is available for hands on student access four hours each day as a means to obtain MS data quickly and inexpensively. Anyone wishing to use the instrument in this open access mode should contact facility personnel to learn more about the capabilities and limitations.
If you publish data acquired on this instrument, please acknowledge NSF grant CHE-1828782
2. AB-SCIEX 5800 MALDI TOF/TOF System WinXP Data System
3. ThermoScientific Vantage - triple quadrupole LCMS instrument with Windows XP OS
If you publish data acquired on this instrument , please acknowledge a grant from the National Center for Research Resources S10RR022331
4. Agilent 6210 LC TOF (2006) A high resolution TOF analyzer with Windows XP based OS and APCI/ESI ionization.
If you publish data acquired on this instrument, please acknowledge NSF grant CHE-0541848
A. APCI/ESI (Multimode)
Available in both positive and negative ion modes on Agilent 6545 LC/SFC Q-TOF and Agilent 6210 LC TOF.
- Upper mass limit about 3000 for "small" molecules.
- Both flow injection and LC modes of operation are available
- All samples must be soluble. (Avoid DMSO if possible. The presence of DMSO in a sample requires LCMS sample introduction and increases the cost of analysis.
- Accurate mass measurements are provided routinely to about 1200. This can also be done for molecules up to 2500 if needed.
- Sample requirements are 1- 10 micrograms
B. Isotopic incorporation analyses
This allows the user to determine the percent incorporation of heavy isotopes of elements in a molecule. In order to acheive good accuracy, we require the nonlabelled analog of each material be submitted at the same time as the labelled material.
C. Intact protein analysis with LC MS
MW of intact proteins can be determined by LC ESI MS. The protein samples can be provided in aqueous salt buffers except detergents. 100-1000 pmoles protein samples are required for the analysis.
D. MALDI - Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization
Useful for MW determination via both nominal and accurate mass measurements. MS/MS capability is possible on our equipment.
No ability to perform on-line separations, samples should be fairly pure.
Sample amount required is compound dependent, for peptides with MW less than 5kd, provide 200 pmoles, 1 nmole required for MW greater than 5kd. For oligonucleotides: 750 pmole - 1 nmole samples size is required.
Please ensure salts have been removed from sample, we recommend ion exchange chromatography ( salt free mobile phases) for oligonucleotides.
E. Triple Quadrupole LC/MS Instrument
Small molecule and peptide structural analysis (fragmentation, LC/MS, LC/MS/MS analysis).
How to Request Service
1. Contact us via one of the following: call 951-827-5287 or send e-mail to email@example.com. Facility personnel will guide you through the process.
2. Samples are analyzed on a first come, first served basis. Requests for rush service should be made only for those samples which are unstable. Such requests can only be made by the research professor or his designee. The designee must be known to facility personnel prior to the request. The request can be made either verbally or in writing.
3. Turnaround times vary depending on our backlog. When you call, facility personnel can provide an update.
4. Submit samples using the sample submission guide. Failure to follow the guide will result in analysis delays.